Monday, July 11, 2011

Learn to be still

"Boredom is a sign that one is lacking intelligence" (or something like that). I don't really remember where I heard this statement, but from time to time I find myself pondering whether or not I believe it to be true.  Basically, the gist is that if one can't occupy their mind with, well, their own mind, the result is boredom.  

I thought of this statement today, which made me think back on this past Saturday morning...  Mike was gone with his dad and Susan and I were just hanging out at the house.  We didn't have any plans, we had no place to be. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of things I could have been doing (hint: rhymes with quandary), but I wasn't feeling inspired, so I decided to just sit.  The sitting lasted about 10-minutes before I felt "bored".  I felt like I needed to be doing something.  The next thing I knew, the fidgets set in....  So I decided to create a blog.  But I digress.

So back to the boredom = lack of intelligence statement...  While I know I'm not a rocket scientist (because if I was, I wouldn't have time to be bored - I'd be job hunting now that NASA is dismantling), I don't think lack of intelligence is my problem.  I think I just don't know how to rest my mind*...  To be content. Still. Anybody else have that problem?

Apparently the Eagles have it all figured out.  They even wrote a song about it (a pretty good song, I might add). 



*For the record, I do know how to nap, but only when I'm tired or when I'm a passenger in a car, especially on long stretches of interstate or on Highway 280, usually between Sylacauga and Dadeville.  

No comments:

Post a Comment